Charlie Dog

Charlie Dog and Sunshine the Cat #bestfriends

I LOVE my pets - currently Sunshine the Cat and Charlie Dog. I have always been an animal lover. I grew up getting to know and love many cats and dogs along the way. A few of my faves: Monk, the Siamese tomcat that was tolerant enough to let me dress him in my doll clothes and put him in an old trunk for naps (with the lid closed!), Kootenai, another Siamese princess my Stepdad named because she had a “flat head” after the Flathead Indians…  Koyak, a Malamute with the most beautiful blue eyes and Sugar, a German Shepherd/Wolf Cross that was stunning and a serious problem child. Each has touched my heart in their own way, but Charlie is the ONE.

In 2005 I decided it was time to finally get a dog of my own. One that I picked out, one that I was solely responsible for. One that would be my best friend, that I could take on walks, cuddle with at night, take for rides in the car, etc. I had my heart set on a black lab. I was going to get a girl and name her Halle, after the actress Halle Berry. At the time, I lived in Boise, ID. One day I ventured to the pound with my then boyfriend in tow.  We wandered the aisles at the Humane Society, looking for the perfect black lab. There were none! Not one dog fit the picture I had in my head. We were just about to leave when a certain very LARGE and LOUD yellow lab started barking at me to get my attention. He was a darling giant of a dog, with the sweetest big brown eyes! I immediately knew he was mine.

Charlie Dog #theearlyyears #spoiled
We were allowed to take him into a room to visit and get to know each other and then take him out for a walk in the yard. He basically walked me, he had no manners, jumped, pulled, didn’t listen… he was unruly that is for sure… but he was one of kind. I told my boyfriend that I would name him Charlie, not knowing that was his name on the paperwork! I took that as another sign that it was meant to be. They were unable to tell me much about his history, just that they thought he was about one to 1 ½ years old.

The ride home… we found out Charlie didn’t like to ride in cars (he still doesn’t)! I think something traumatic happened to him before his trip to the pound all those years ago. He pants hysterically, shakes violently and every little noise or disruption out of the norm, like the windshield wipers, or an accidental trip over a rumble strip, sends him from the rear of the car, over the seats, right up to the front with me. Anywho, on the trip home from the pound that first day, he got sick in my brand new darling black Subaru Impreza (Isabella… you should always name your car). I could have died! Then as soon as he was in the house he ran straight for the litter box, proceeded to eat the cat poop and then lifted his leg on the wall! I was like oh my goodness, what have I gotten myself into… this dog is a delinquent with a capital D!! Sigh. My cats at the time Sasha and Jordan, were not impressed!

Charlie Dog #lookatthatface

As the days progressed, I learned that he didn’t like vacuums, spending time alone outdoors, and if I let him off the leash he was gone. He would just bound over the fence and off he would go. There was no use in calling him, because he did whatever he wanted. Oh, he would come home, but only when he was ready to :) The most disappointing thing, was that he would not sleep with me! He would jump up on the bed with some serious coaxing, stay for like two minutes, and off he would go. I was so depressed. I couldn’t even begin to admit that I may have made a mistake, not to myself or anyone that asked. I am stubborn and was determined to make this work. We spent time getting to know each other, bonding and he has grown to be my BEST friend.

Before I had my son, I was worried that Charlie would be jealous, but he would lay on the bed with his head on my tummy, as if he knew something special and miraculous was going on in there…. He has been protective of Parker since the day he was born, watching over him, whining or barking if there was a problem. He has been the most loving and sweet dog a boy could ask for.  He is now approximately 14 years old. He is full of lumps and bumps, which the vet assures me are not cancerous. His toenails are too long because he refuses to let me clip them. He is to the point where I literally have to pull him along on our walks, and his pace has slowed considerably. His hearing seems to be gone and he hardly ever barks… and he’s still a poop eating dog! Yes, disgusting. Whenever he can sneak a bite, apparently the deer variety is especially delicious :)

Charlie Dog and Parker #aboyandhisdog

He has slept with me every night for years now, not down at the foot of the bed, right next to me with his head on the pillows and snoring… man oh man, if a MAN snored like that I could not tolerate it, but for some reason Charlie’s snores are soothing. Recently, and sorely overdue, I got a new mattress set. It is much taller than my old. Charlie was already to the point where I would have to help him up onto the bed, but with the new mattress on the scene he doesn’t even want to bother, and opts for his dog bed… I was one broken hearted Mom and was just about to purchase one of those ramp deals. Then a few days ago, as if it was meant to be, Charlie started to sleep with my son on his bed at night. Just across the hallway, so I can still hear his snores and Parker is happy because he finally gets to sleep with Charlie dog :)

I have a feeling Charlie’s last days are closing in and I have been trying to mentally prepare for a while now… but I truly don’t know how you can. I have never felt such a connection with another. Perhaps learning to sleep without him is meant to be and will help me transition from having him with me by my side every minute, to not. I am not sure how Charlie’s story will end, but I hope I am strong enough to handle it with grace and strength.

Charlie Dog Black and White #sohandsome

For those considering adding a new animal to the family, think before you do about the commitment, patience and love needed and make a responsible decision. Are you ready to go down this path? Almost fifteen years later and I would do it all over again.  We love you Charlie!!

a guest blog by Kelly Christian

Comments

Popular Posts